At the centre of your being you have the answer, you know who you are and you know what you want ~ Lao Tzu

Wednesday, April 4

What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday (No. 148)

I've wanted to join in with this for the longest time... and thanks to Elizabeth at Altered Booklover, I've found Julia (the host of WOYWW), and I've added a button to my sidebar...

So here's my desk...


... where you can see I've made a start on this week's IA Challenge - Frida Fiesta, celebrating Frida Kahlo - a life-long favourite :)

I've chosen to recreate one of her many self-portraits...


... in this one her thoughts are about death, while surrounded by lush vegetation...

I know she isn't everyone's favourite - a lot of her paintings are very dark, or even morbid, but when you have suffered as she did - physically and emotionally - and think her often brutal honesty has real power!

Frida has helped me through a lot since I first discovered her work over 30 years ago... through my miscarriages...



... and more recently, through my stroke recovery...


Her brokenness made her strong, and she continues to inspire such vulnerable strength in others...

VIVA LA FRIDA!!





12 comments:

Rita said...

Nice tidy workspace. I love your journal pages. Have a lovely Easter. Hugs Rita xx

anca gray said...

frida is such an inspiration! have you seen the beautiful movie? looking forward to seeing your portrait of her!

Twiglet said...

I count my blessings when I see how others have suffered. Thanks for sharing. Such a cold snowy day here - I have been happily sewing and watching the snowflakes fall.

Darla said...

Looks like you have a good start on the IA challenge. I need to get going. I have the cookbook Lisa featured, maybe I'll cook something.

Darla

Laura said...

I feel like I've learned about something new today because the paintings you posted made me want to know more about the artist. Her use of symbolism reminds me a bit of Dali (who used the same symbols over and over in his work); is her work considered to be influenced by surrealism? Wishing you the best on this WOYWW. ~ Laura #118

Lori Saul said...

Beautiful tribute to Frida and such inspiring art pieces!

Miriam said...

fabulous art. Welcome to WOYWW

#107

VonnyK said...

Such powerful art, I can see why you like her. So sorry that you have gone through so much but art can help us through so many things.
Welcome to woyww.
Von #49

Julia Dunnit said...

Viva indeed! If she knew how she's been a source of strength for you, she'd be amazed. Great stuff, dont forget to show us your rendition of her self portrait will you? Welcome to WOYWW, really happy you're here!

Unknown said...

Welcome to WOYWW. Your desk looks nice and tidy, love the frida sketch and what you've added since ths post, great colors! have a wonderful Easter.

Xx

poppy m said...

Love your posts claire. Will snail-mail soon. Have a lovely Easter.
Meredith

SophieNewton said...

Sorry I'm a bit late this week! Fabulous artwork, happy easter x
Sophie no.72